Table of contents:
- How do you take care of a newborn Shih Tzu?
- What size are newborn Shih Tzu puppies?
- Can a Shih Tzu have only one puppy?
- When can Shih Tzu puppies leave their mom?
- What is the best food for puppy shih tzu?
How do you take care of a newborn Shih Tzu?
- Provide watery puppy food to begin the weaning process; help pups with first few meals.
- Keep puppy area clean and dry.
- Provide extra food and calcium for mother.
- Clip puppy nails.
- Brush puppy hair.
- Check pups daily for weight gain, signs of illness.
- Continue to provide warming source for whelping box.
- Support mama.
What size are newborn Shih Tzu puppies?
around 6 ounces
Can a Shih Tzu have only one puppy?
Some toy breed dogs only have 1 to 3 puppies. The Shih Tzu, while a toy breed, has a relatively larger litter. The average litter of the Shih Tzu is 3 with a range of 1 to 5 being considered normal; however some cases a Shih Tzu may have an even larger litter.
When can Shih Tzu puppies leave their mom?
Weaning typically begins at around 3 to 5 weeks old and takes a few weeks to complete. Toy breeds such as Imperial Shih Tzus may take longer to wean, so they may need to stay with their mothers for up to 10 to 12 weeks.
What is the best food for puppy shih tzu?
The Best Dog Foods For Shih Tzus